What is Wamp Server
Wamp Server allows you to create a web server on your computer. Simply put it creates a testing environment for you to learn, test and build your website before you need to put it online.
WAMP is a form of mini-server that can run on almost any Windows Operating System.
WAMP includes Apache 2, PHP 5 (SMTP ports are disabled), and MySQL (phpMyAdmin and SQLitemanager are installed to manage your databases) pre installed.
Downloading WAMP Server
Download WAMP to your computer. Depending on your computer you can either download the 32bit version or the 64bit .
When you click on the desired download link a pop-up window will open asking you to sign up for the news letter. You can bypass this process by clicking on the direct download link in the upper paragraph.
- Save the download to your desktop or somewhere were you can find it. Once the download has completed navigate to the download and either double click or right click and choose open to start the installation.
- The first screen yu will see is the welcome screen giving the version numbers of the install, just click next.
- The next screen is the license agreement, accept the agreement and click on the next button.
- Here we can set the folder the the install will use, as default it will install to "c:\wamp". Choose to use this directory or change as required.
- Next is the additional icons screen, choose the required icons and once again click next.
- The next is the final screen before the install begins showing all the details you have entered. If you are happy with the details we can procceed, or if you need to change anything at this point you can click on the back button to change what is required. Happy? Ok click install to proceed with installation...
- OK now the install has completed the next screen is for choosing the default browser. You don't have to do anything here just click the open button.
- You may receive a warning from windows at this point about network access just click the allow access button.
- The next screen will show the PHP Mail Paramiters. Leave as Localhost and enter an email address if you require one but at this point it's not really necessary.
- Ok the last screen is here detailing the install we have just done, also you can tick the box to start Wamp Server straight away or leave empty to start manually .
- In your task bar, down the by the date in the bottom-right hand corner of your screen, look for the WAMP icon. Click on that icon.
- You should see a pop-up. Click "Start All Services" and then click "Localhost."
- Your browser will open showing the Wamp Server front page.
We now have a working environment on our computer to learn how to develope and create websites, test scripts
before we upload them to our web space.
So how do we use Wamp Server?
To show you how to use Wamp Server in the next tutorial we will be installing Joomla! CMS on Wamp