In this tutorial, we will show you how to install Joomla 3.0,
Download Joomla 3.0.x
The first step in installing Joomla 3.x is to actually download it.
Visit http:\\www.joomla.org/download.html and download one of the compressed versions of Joomla! 3.0
Upload Joomla 3.0.x
Once downloaded, we need to now upload it to our server (web space). If you are not familiar with the technique of how to accomplish this task then take a look at this tutorial ( uploading and extracting zip-files to your domain). Most cPanel based servers allow this function.
Create a database
Next we require a database for our installation.
If you have never created a database and user in your cPanel account, then take a look at our tutorial (Create a Database and User) for reference on how to create it.
Be sure to take note of your database name, database username, and database password. You will need these later during the installation.
Once we have completed these step we are now readt to start the browser based installation.
Run the Joomla 3.x Installation Wizard
Open your browser and navigate to your domain. Example: http://yourdomain.com
You will then be confronted with the Installation wizard for Joomla.
On the configuration page, you'll need to select your language, enter a name and description for your site, and setup your administrative details (such as username, password, and email address). Click Next to continue the installation.
- Select Language: Select the default language for your site.
- Site Name: Enter the name of your website.
- Description: Enter a description of what your website is all about.
- Admin email: This is your main email address that the system will use. (you can set up as many email accounts as required in cPanel)
- Admin Username: Important! Change the default admin username to something hard to guess. Example: "smokey".
- Admin Password: Choose a password that only you would remember.
- Confirm Admin Password: Re-type the chosen password. This is required to eliminate any spelling mistakes in your password, you'd be suprised how many times a mis-spelled password has locked someone out the back-end (including me).
- Site Offline: You can set the site to offline mode so only you have access whilst your working on your website.
Once you are happy with your settings click the next button in the top right corner.
Step2. Database Screen
On the next screen you will configure Joomla with the database you setup.
On most servers, and set the Host Name to localhost. When finished entering your database credentials, click Next.
- Database type: You can set the Database Type to MySQLi or MySQL depending on your servers configuration most servers have both installed.
- Host Name: This is usually "localhost" on most servers.
- Username: Enter the user you set up for the database.
- Password: type the password you set up for the user of the database.
- Database Name: Here you type in the name of the database you set up.
- Table Prefix: This is a randomly generated prefix to help secure your database, you can use a prefix of your own if required.
- Old Database Process: If this is a new installation then just leave as is. If you previously installed joomla then you can remove or backup the old tables.
Step3. Finalisation And Overview
The next screen will give the option of setting up your website for you in different scenarios using the sample data that comes within the Joomla package file.
If this is your first time using Joomla 3.0,
You may want to use the option to install sample data (learn more about the different types of sample data included).
This will help you learn how Joomla 3.0 works because your new Joomla website will include sample articles and modules.
You can select Yes next to Email Configuration if you want to have a copy of the installation details emailed to you at the email address you entered when setting up the admin account.
When finished with this page, click the Install button.
Step4. The Installation
Now you will see the database being set up showing a progress bar, just let it run and complete it's task.
The Success screen
Once the installation has been completed you now see the final screen with a Congratulations! message.
Click on the button "Remove installation folder". This removes the installation scripts that were used in the set up. And thats it ! We are finnished installing our website.
Now you can use the "Site" button to look around the actual website OR "Administration" button to log into the admin section of your website.