At this time there are only two payment methods available for VM2.0 We expect to see many more in the near future. You can get some plug-ins now from the JED for specific gateways, and several are on the road map for the VirtueMart development project, but no set release times. Eventually there will be many choices for you here.
On the VirtueMart Menu go to Shop > Payment Methods.
You will see a blank page open. This is because we haven't added any payment methods yet.
In the top right corner of the screen click on the new button.
We will firstly deal with the Payment Method Information tab.
We are going to configure Paypal as our payment method.
- Payment Name: Type Paypal ( it won't save unless you do this).
- Published: Click the yes.
- Payment Method: Choose the payment method VM - Payment, Paypal.
- Shopper Group: You can set different payment methods for different groups (wholesale etc..)
Click Save at the top of the page (The configuration tab will not populate until you have saved the information).
Ok that done click on the configuration tab.
Now you will see the paypal details screen.
The first part deals with your Paypal account details.
- Logos: If you are going to use a logo, you will first need to create the folder for the images at: /images/stories/virtuemart/logos.
- Paypal payment email: Email address for the username connection to your Paypal account.
- Accept only verified buyers: Again this is a security issue, verified accounts have a bank account linked to their Paypal account.
- Merchant Sandbox Email: Used for testing purposes to check all the processes are in place for making transactions. You can set up a sandbox account on ebay for free to test your shop payments.
- Sandbox: If you are using the sandbox for testing check the "Yes" radial button, then when you are ready for your shop to go live make sure you check "No".
Now we have to set the parameters.
- Let buyers override their Paypal Address: I'd leave this as "NO". For security you should be sending to the address on the account.
- Prompt buyers for a shipping address: Again I'd set this to "Don Not Prompt". Again if they have opened an account with you, the address is already in the members settings. You would only change this if you were allowing guests to buy or using a different payment method.
- Currency: You can choose the currency for this payment method or just leave it as default for the store default currency.
- Countries: Choose the countries allowed for this payment method. If you are just selling to one country choose it.
- Minimum Amount: You have to factor into your pricing the fact that Paypal charge a percentage for every transaction. Leave blank if not required.
- Maximum Amount: Again for security you could set a ceiling price for every transaction.
- Fee per transaction: You could charge a fee for your services.
- Percent of the total amount: You could use this to make the customer pay the Paypal fees, but personally i think it puts customers off.
- Tax: If you are selling products that are taxable you can set the rules here for this payment method. (Applying tax is another tutorial).
- Order Status for Pending transactions: This is set for orders that have not been completed yet.
- Order Status for Successful transactions: This is set for orders that have gone through the payment process successfully.
- Order Status for Failed transactions: Set for orders that have not been paid for or the transaction has been cancelled.
Once you have chosen the settings for your shop click "Save&close" which will take you back to the payment methods screen.
Now we have to make sure our payment methods are published.
Select the check-boxes next to the payments you have set up and then hit publish on the menu bar.